last days
I’m sitting here in the library waiting for the next section to come for their library orientation. I have nearly finished all sections at the school. My voice is hoarse, my legs are tired, but it has all been worth it. A year of hard work has finally paid off and it’s a bit sad that I have only enjoyed it for the past couple of weeks. It has been truly rewarding to see the students enjoying the books. Their faces light up when I show them all the different types of books. For many of them, it is the first time that they have seen books like these. They are used to the dull, black and white, textbooks distributed by the Department of Education. Most libraries in Ifugao are only stocked with books of these kinds. One of my favorite books to show them is one on dinosaurs. When I open the pages, the room fills with “oohs and ahhhs.” They also get a thrill (and a laugh) when I open the pull out picture of the inside of a human body. We haven’t yet opened the library to the kids during their free time and yet every recess and break the door is filled with students asking if they can come in. The feeling I get now makes up for all the doubts I had, all the questions about whether this project will be a success. Despite all those sleepless nights, stressful days, headaches, you name it, it was all worth it.
I only have 4 more days here in Lamut. I am in a bit of denial that I will soon be miles away from this place I have considered my home for over two years. When I visualize being back in the
We had a blessing at the house last Sunday. Mama Zonya wanted to have a thanksgiving for the past two years as well as wishing me good luck and good health on my return to the states. We invited the pastor and a few friends of mine (parents of students), and of course my host family. We cooked a bunch of food and I bought 2 gallons of ice cream, bananas, chocolate sauce, and crushed peanuts for banana splits. Like I said, I haven’t really been able to conceive that I am leaving. But at this gathering, it hit me. Mama Z gave a message and my host dad, Beda, followed. Both ended their speech in tears. I was given a chance to respond. I hadn’t prepared anything and considering this was my first and last chance to openly express all my feelings to my family, I kind of blew it. Like always, I started out rambling on, jumping from thing to thing, trying to get it all out at once. I finally collected my thoughts and that is when I broke down. It seemed that saying the words out loud made this parting real and final. Like before it wasn’t really ever going to happen. Until now, it seems I will just be going to
The last week has really been wonderful. Friday I had my despedida (going away party) at the school with all the teachers. I felt awkward being the center of attention and didn’t feel worthy of it all. I am the youngest at the school, in a country where age is highly respected so it was strange to have all this attention lavished on me. At the same time it made me feel that I did make a difference to these teachers. However small my projects were, however few the students were that I taught, I think that I showed these teachers the value of hard work and what can happen when you put your mind to something. I have worked relentlessly on this library and the results of this project are easy to see. I think I can also honestly say that I have supplied them with entertainment to their lives for the past two years. I think I added something exciting to their days, giving them a white face, tall body, and corn-like hair to stare at. I entertained them with countless stories from home, and surely got a few laughs from my cultural faux paus, misunderstandings, and my broken Ilocano. At my party, each grade performed a number (song, dance, or poem) specifically addressed to me. One friend wrote an acrostic poem, another teacher sang “beautiful brown eyes”, and another sang “Leaving on a Jet Plane.” It was all a bit goofy. I sat alone in a chair in the middle of the room while everyone gave their message or number to me. Although a bit overdone, I appreciated it so much. I feel their gratitude for my presence and am confident that I was appreciated here. This party also gave Mama Z the chance to see my role at the school. She has spent two years listening to all my problems with work and probably was a bit uncertain if I was truly appreciated it. This was proven not only with the messages but the numerous gifts. And despite my full suitcase, I am going to find a way to take home every last piece, including the “God Bless This House” weaving and the Spanish-style lace top. Tomorrow, for one last laugh, I plan on wearing every last piece.
My other days have been spent enjoying the company of my friends and those people that I have become close to over the years. I’ve been taking long walks in the mornings, stopping to have coffee with people along the road. I have been invited to numerous lunches, dinners, and get-togethers and have been staying up late to hang out with my family. My days are numbered and I feel an air of sadness in our home. My hope is that by Friday, when I have my final party with my family, we can put that all aside and just enjoy ourselves.
I’ve tried my best to express myself through my blog the past two years. I really hope you have some understanding of my life here. I hope I have at least given you a small idea of what it’s like here in the
I love you all and my homecoming will be incredible but leaving here is bittersweet.


4 Comments:
Eva Honey, you are loved just as much on this side of the world.
Love you more, Grandma Carol
Eva-
I'm so sad you have to leave such a great place, but also so happy to have you back. You've been missed so much! I can't wait to see you!
Jane
Hey Eva!
Great job on the library! The kids are very lucky to have had you there.
Just so you know the US is grand!
Enjoy your last few days in the 'pines, We'll be in New Mexico if you want to visit anytime
:-)
Scott and Erin
Hey,
I was just looking through PCV Philippines blogs to try and get in touch with some PCVs as I will be visiting come July 13th, but your blog brought me to tears. I just finished service in Cameroon, West Africa, and it's a VERY similar set of feelings I had too. People talk about 're-adjustment'- what does that mean?! I'm still cold from all the A/C, things move a little too fast, and people seem a little too connected with all the i phones and such, but mostly I miss who I was and am not able to be anymore. But I think we'll be forever re-shaped by our PC experiences. I'm rambling. I just feel you. You're not alone.
Anyway, do you have some contacts that you could put me in touch with? Are there any PCVs in Palawan?
Tara L. Smith
Cameroon 2007-2009
Mlle.Tara.Smith@gmail.com
Post a Comment
<< Home