medical again!
Hi everyone! SO guess what? I am back in Manila on medical leave......I'll start with last week.....as most of you know, I went with Adam to Saytan last week to visit Nanang Florentina, his former host mother. On Friday night we went with a bunch of people from Saytan to Baguio for the flower festival. Its a weekend of parades, food, bands, vendors, etc. Saturday we woke up early and went to watch the parade. I was standing next to Adam when I started to feel unwell. So I told him Id be right back. I walked (Adam told me later I hobbled) over to a truck and leaned against it. The next thing I knew I opened my eyes to find myself on the ground in the dirt and bleading. I had no idea what had happened. I was disoriented. For all I knew, I had been in a fight or hit by a car. Why else would I be bleading like this? Adam was yelling my name. I realized that I had passed out! I was shaking, sweating, hot, with blurry vision. There were people all over the place so he helped me over to a spot that was hidden form the crowd. I sat on the ground for about ten minutes trying to gain composure while trying to convince everyone that i just needed to sit for a minute - not get up and go anywhere. Everyone was helping me clean up and figure out what happened. I was completely out of it. Adam went and found the paramedics and onvinced me to lay down on a stretcher. Then they carried me through the parade crowd to a med vehicle. Funny thing was that they first went the wrong way - so here I was (I closed my eyes) becoming the main attraction! I went to the hospital and they checked me out. I had a huge cut on my head and a few abrasions across my face and leg. They cleaned my wounds with peroxide and iodine - man did that sting!!!! Nanang Florentina was also with us and she went and bought me snacks to help raise my blood pressure. Adam was great - he took care of all the admin stuff. They asked me if i wanted to get stitches - the wound was superficial but it was wide. I said no becasue they said I could also close it up by just using butterfly bandages. We left and went looking for the bandages - not to be found anywhere! Adam called PC doctor and she told us to go to a different hospital - PC approved hospital. There I decided to go ahead with the stitches. I didnt want to risk any infection here. At the second hospital they gave me three shots, drew blood, and gave me my first three stitches. It didnt hurt. They numbed my forehead so it felt really stiff and thick. After they finished we went out to eat. Everyone was sure that I fainted because Im not eating enough so the rest of the day was spent being stuffed like a pig. I was quite the site - all scraped up, gauze on my head, dirt on my clothes, yellow tinted skin from the iodine. I usually get alot of stares any way for being foreign. Now I was getting stares for being a beat up foreigner. It seriously looked like I fell off a jeep or got in a fight. I was not a pretty sight. My face was stiff so I couldnt really laugh or move it. I could hardly open my mouth up wide enough to eat. We went back to where we were sleeping and i slept it off. Sunday we went backfor the float parade. I talked with PC doctor and she said it was best for me to come to manila to get some tests done and hopefully we can figure out why i fainted. On Saturday they tested my blood sugar, electrolytes, and blood pressure. My blood sugar was a bit low, my electrolytes were fine, and my blood pressure was low - 100/70. Yesterday they did some tests - blood pressure still low - 100/64 and today I had my blood drawn. I am going later to the hospital for more tests. Tomorow I get my stitches out. I really dont know why I fainted. I ate breakfast, was drinking enough, and it wasnt extremely hot outside. The past few months I have experienced some blurred vision and faintness if I stand up too fast but I just assumed it was normal. I wouldnt worry too much. Im in good care here. More than likely its nothing, its just better to be sure. Adam was such a help through all of this. When I told him that I didnt feel well he followed me to the truck - i dont remember even seeing him. He said all of a sudden I just fell forward onto the ground. I figure it was worse for him! I was passed out but he had to see me just laying there not knowing if I had some weird history of epilepsy or something. Luckily I was only out for about 10 seconds. He also was with it enought to grab my purse and move me away from the crowd. I was so grateful to have someone there too through all the shots and stitches. Hospitals can be a little spooky here.
So anyways, I dont know anything yet. I will keep you all posted and put up some pictures of my face! Talk to you soon!
eva


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home