Tuesday, January 23, 2007

new principal

So its been about two weeks since my last blog. Not a lot happening here. I have stayed in Lamut for the most part. I think its going to be a long stretch before I go anywhere, maybe the longest yet. Ive still been cooking, trying to get some exercise, and keeping up on my reading. I read two great books (thank you Carolyn), Smashed and Kite Runner. They were both great. I read each one in a couple of days. Kite Runner has to be one of my favorite books. If any of you are looking for something to read, I highly recommend this one.
Work scene – I think I mentioned that we have a new principal at my school. She is amazing. Last week I attended the PTCA meeting (parent teacher association). She was well organized. She prepared a list of topics to discuss ranging from class projects to discipline. I was very impressed to say the least. She addressed many issues that I have noticed at the school. I felt such relief knowing that I am not just seeing these problems as an outsider. They notice these things too! I had mentioned to her earlier in the week that I would like to start a library project at the school. She said that she would be very interested in starting that. She made some mention of this at the meeting. However, nothing has started yet because we have visitors coming on Friday from the regional Deped office and we have spent the past two weeks cleaning up the school grounds. I am optimistic that we will start next week constructing a plan for the library. I have been to see a fellow Peace Corps volunteer about it and it looks like we could really establish a library here. I have the support of the principal and the Peace Corps. Still I need the support of the municipal government and also a fellow teacher to run the library when it is finished. There is a training next month on how to run school libraries. My next step is to talk with the principal about a possible counterpart that can accompany to this.
As for my SPED class, this morning my counterpart was sick so I was in charge of the class. I wasn’t’ scared this time. Rather, I was so excited. I tested some of my new materials and methods. They seemed to really enjoy themselves. I still didn’t completely fill up all the time but it was a nice start. I also tried to get them to do some motor skill exercises. They didn’t take to that very well. Slowly right?
Next week we are going to start implementing some new things and I really think these kids will benefit from a little more structured learning. What we have now is basically 30 minutes of instruction and the rest is free time.
At home – One weekend I did go to Banaue overnight. Adam’s boss, Vicky, was in town and decided to have a small dinner party at his house. I went to help cook. It was a lot of fun. Vicky brought her American friend from college and a foreign tourist joined us too. Adam’s host family came as well as his two counterparts and their wives. I did a lot of the preparation. And of course I was stressed a bit but loving it! I always have done well under pressure J I had a chance to bond with his workmates and his host brother. I was also greeted by a nice surprise from his lola – she ordered me a native tapis! It is the native skirt that Ifugaos wear. It is handwoven and absolutely gorgeous. Maybe Ill wear it home on the plane!!
This past weekend I stayed in Lamut. We played tennis for the first time. I haven’t even tried to play since high school. I was terrible then and im even worse now! Sunday, I went to church and afterwards to the market with nearly our whole extended family. We all went shopping to make food for a picnic at the river. Everyone packed up their food and went to a spot near our house. We set up a shelter to block the sun and a barbeque. They grilled fish and eggplant and we had fresh fruit and veggies. Afterwards we went swimming and played some water games. They told me they hadn’t had a picnic there in years. I felt privileged to be a part of it. I’m so glad that I have been staying around and not missing out on anything.
What else? American Idol started here and I am loving it! I didn’t really watch it at home in the states but some how American TV here is so much more entertaining than it was before. I crack up at the stupidest jokes. I think cos I get so little American humor in my daily life.
I’ve started walking in the pms at the airport down the road. Its next to SIL where I go for my language on Thursdays. They runway opens at 4 and its really nice to walk there. I just take my music and sing to the cows and enjoy the mountain view.
Nothing else really. If any of you have any ideas about how to get books donated to our library or if you know about any programs or organizations that might help us please let me know.
And mom – peace corps called and said they have two boxes from you. Now I just need to get them here! Thank you so much! And you should start reading Kite Runner.
sphaldar – I got it. It worked and it was amazing. The best so far. Good work!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home