Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Superbowl

Happy Superbowl Sunday! Well it’s already passed. Some people got together here to watch it on cable – it aired Monday morning at 730 am. But it was a guys only party so I didn’t get to go. I was definitely pissed about that. You all know I’m not the biggest superbowl fan but I do like making snacks, watching the half time show, having a couple of beers and enjoying the atmosphere. And it would’ve been a great excuse for us Americans to get together to celebrate a yearly ritual. I’m still sulking.
So not a lot going on here. I’ve been in Lamut for the longest period so far without leaving. I am really enjoying it. As time goes by here, I am becoming more comfortable and have much less desire to leave or spend time with other Americans. Adam came by last weekend to hang out. He went with me to buy a bike. Its great! Its a red “lady’s bike” complete with a basket, bell, and light. Perfect for a young “lady” like myself J I’ll post a picture of it. We took it out a few times this weekend and I love it. It’s so much nice to ride a bike around here than to walk. When people stare at me I hardly notice cos I just whiz right past them! Before it gets too hot here I’d like to try riding it out to some of the farther barangays that I haven’t been to because they are too far to walk.
Besides a bike, I found out I can play tennis at the SIL site where I take language. They have a tennis court with a net and we have rackets here at the house. I’m gonna try and take it up this summer. Adam is really good so he gave me some great pointers last weekend.
I’ve started jogging in the pms at SIL too. There is a landing strip there that I can use after 4pm. Its so quiet out there and the view is great. Sometimes there are people but I never draw a crowd like I do in town and a lot of other Americans from SIL are using it too. I don’t stand out as a big white freak.
Big news for me….I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what I will do when I get back to the US. My choice is going to be work or school. The other night I was up late thinking about what it would be like to be a teacher and maybe eventually a principal. I finally came to the conclusion that I would not be happy in a school setting for the rest of my life. I really enjoy children and teaching but I think I am too restless a person to stay in the same setting. I started to think again about nursing or doctoring. I really think that I want to pursue some kind of medical degree when I get home. I know the peace corps has some programs that might fund part of my education. I am going to start looking into it. This is big news for me because I have spent the past 5 years trying to decide what I want to do. I am interested in a lot of different things so it has been hard to figure it out. So what do you all think? Any suggestions or ideas?
Well that’s about it. Hanging in there with work. We’ve made some progress but there are still good days and bad. I had one student hit me the other day – caught completely off guard. She hasn’t liked me from the beginning – I took away a paper from here once and she has never forgotten. Ah well. So is my job as a sped teacher right?
Hope you are all well. Miss you so much and counting down the weeks until I can come home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home