In Lamut
Hi everyone! I know its been ages since I wrote on this and let me tell you a lot has happened in the past month. First, I went back to Saytan after the last hub and we did our community project with the community. We met with the Barangay council and decided that we would work with them to make a map of the community. It turned out really cool. We used a huge 4 by 6 board and painted a map with all the houses and we even included all the names of the families and the barangay council on it. We also decided to paint the speed bumps...they call them humps here. There are a lot of them and people are always tripping over them. Sounds silly but they liked the idea. The whole project took about 4 days to do, a lot longer than we expected. And the day we planned to do it there was a funeral so no one showed up. Poor planning on our part. At the same time we were studying for our language exam and also saying our goodbyes to the community. They were so sweet. Jill's host family threw us a surprise party at the videoke bar with treats, drinks, decorations, parlor games...it was a blast. We stayed up until about 3 am. The next morning we went with our host families back to Baguio for our formal goodbye...they call it a handog. We had parlor games, speeches from the host families, and speeches from the volunteers. I gave a speech for our cluster group. I was really nervous but I think it turned out well. I keep volunteering myself for opportunities like that because I really want to work on my public speaking skills while I am here. Im hoping that after this two years I will be really comfortable in front of an audience. Ive already improved in just the two months Ive been here. So.....handog.....went well....we were all very sad. I was mostly sad to leave adam's host mother. She turned out to be the best ever. So motherly when I was all alone. My host mom came but after she made me feel terrible that morning and gave me a lecture because we were allowed to invite two guests each and I invited her but since she is the only one in the house we used my extra spot to invite Vanessa, Jill's host sister. She was mad about that...said it was rude that she is not part of my family and that she should decide who comes and that maybe I liked their family better...etc....and if i didnt like staying there I should have moved out. Very confrontational for a philipino and it put me in such a bad mood for the handog. But strange that when we got there her mood turned around and she was very sweet and even cried a bit. Maybe just a show? Or she's just bipolar? Anyways, its over with her. I found out that there was so much gossip about her. I guess she used to be a teacher in saytan until the students petitioned for her removal for being physical with the students...they have terrible nicknames for her in town. once, when she found out who was spreading a name about her she chased after them with a machetti!!! And that is who they put me with?! I am a little pissed at PC for not checking into it better....anyways, its over. I do miss Saytan a lot. This past week whenever Ive been stressed out or tired of moving around, living out of a suitcase, I just want to go back there. Mostly because it is the one place here that is familiar and where everyone knows us and likes us. Luckily I have a great family in Lamut so I will hopefully start feeling that way about there too. So I passed my language exam! We had it the day after the handog. It wouldnt have mattered if I failed but for myself....I was glad knowing that I made it and that my hard work paid off. Last Monday we had our supervisors conference in Baguio. My principal came with my counterpart. We worked out our action plan for the next four months. I am very excited because she is just as excited as me. We have a lot of the same ideas its now just a matter of getting it all put together, locating funds, resources, assessing the children...And I dont have to worry about time either. We are setting aside 3 months to organize and develop the class and curriculum before the children start coming. I can relax!! After all that in Baguio our whole group went to Los Banos to have our swearing in ceremony. We took a night bus and stayed in a hotel/resort that was very disappointing. They must have been short on budget because this was no island cove like we had at the beginning. The rooms looked like they were out of a fifties motel 6 and our ceremony was outside in the afternoon and 90 degree weather. Despite all that it was great to finally become volunteers. After a few days there we decided to go to Manila to relax and hang out before going to site. I stayed one night in a pension downtown and the second night in a classy hotel. Some of my friends decided to live it up while we can and checked into the nicest place ever! This hotel had tiled floors, floor to ceiling windows overlooking the town, two bedrooms, three baths, kitchen, dining room, ahhhh and i didnt have to throw down for it!!!! lucky!! Now I am in Lamut. I came last night. It feels great to be here. I am happy with my family and it seems I was only just here. However, this is the real deal now. I think all of us are freaking out a bit. Before we always had hub days in baguio to look forward to. And we were living in groups of 4 in small little communities. Now we are all alone and most of us in bigger towns where it will be much harder to get to know people. And less noticed being the only one. Hard to realize that this is it now. This is the real peace corps. Before it seemed more like an intense camp....and now...huh! hard to put into words. Im not lonely yet but I can see why they say this is such a tough thing to do. I sure am greatful for those days in Manila...although it makes adjustment that much harder! But it gives me something to look forward to...meeting up with everyone again. We have decided that for our own sanity that we are going to do that as much as we can...maybe not a posh hotel...but get together every now and again for a mini break. Well this is enough for now...very general info on everything sorry. Just too many things to talk about!!!! I hope you are all well. I miss you all very much. Love you!


2 Comments:
I tried to call you tonight/this morning. Will try again.
Love,
Aaron
Apparently that would be three minutes remaining, not thirty.
I'll call again in a couple weeks.
Hope you feel better soon. It may just go away when your body adjusts to the local bacteria.
It's been hot here, but nothing like there, I imagine.
Love
Aaron
Post a Comment
<< Home