Looking Up
Hi everyone!! Im in Baguio for another hub session...which means 3 days of lectures, guest speakers, blah blah....with some time for R and R mixed in there a bit.
I have talked with the Peace Corps staff and things are looking better for my job. I do have a counterpart now to work with. She is around 30 years old with a education degree and some special education training. Everyone in Lamut is starting to better understand my role as a volunteer. I really think things are going to go well. I will attend a supervisors conference in two weeks where I will devise a work plan with my boss. Hopefully that will clarify some things and help dissuade any misconceptions about what I am going to be doing.
As for my host family situation in Saytan....lots of rumors coming out about my host mom. She's nuts and everyone knows her as mean and strict. I was taking her behavior and attitude towards me very personally. I hated to go home and just dreaded any confrontations with her. However, now things are getting a little better. I think she is concerned with her reputation. Since she is never home, I eat alone or at the homes of the other volunteers. People have noticed and are always calling me the orphan. Im sure thats gotten back to her and now shes trying to do something about it.
And I have a funny story that leads into this improvement....last Thursday I went to bed only to be woken up by a loud chewing noise....very loud like dog teeth on wood. Thought it was Richie the dalmation....no...he was sleeping in the other room. I got scared, afraid to turn on the light and find a cat sized rat or something scarier. So I texted Jill with my problem. It was about 11. She offered to come over and help me look for the source. In the mean time, I got the nerve to turn on the light and look around the room. Nothing....and the chewing persisted. Jill came and we found nothing, the chewing had stopped, but I didnt want to sleep with it in my room or nearby. So I left Merci a note and slept at Jills. In the morning she walked me back and there was merci with the scariest look on her face and only said....whyd you sleep at jills in an angry voice...ahhhh she can be scary...anyways, to make it short, we had a talk after class about why I felt uncomfortable...etc...if she still wanted me there, it didnt go anywhere but her attitude did change a bit. And I dont care if she is mean cos I know it is nothing I did to cause it. what a relief.
and i have love from adam's mom who has taken me in and even taught me how to make baskets out of magazines...ill take a picture of my first creation
everything else is going well. I only have one more week in Saytan. Its going to be very sad. We love it there!! Next week is goign to be very busy too. We have a community activity to organize, a wedding, our goodbyes, then a lunch with our families next saturday in baguio. follwed by the supervisors conference, our language exam, and then our swearing in ceremony. all in two weeks time!!!!
i hope everyone is well. keep in touch. love you all


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home